Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I likes dat new Wal-Mart

I've come a long way since college. As the son of a small retailer, there was a time when I would have rallied against the opening of another "big box" Wal-Mart coming in and killing the little guy, raping the town's wallet and sending all the money to Bentonville, Ark.
But times have changed. Now, being broke most of the time, I can appreciate a good deal just as much as the next guy.
Now, falling prices are just alright with me.
That's why I've been pretty siked out about this new Wal-Mart. So much so, in fact, that everyone in th newsroom has picked on me about the excitement with which I speak of the 100-foot TV wall. But come on, man. Who doesn't love a 100-foot-TV wall?
It's so much nicer than any big box store I've ever been to. I've always been a Target fan because the stores are always so much cleaner and the products are "more fancy." But the new Wal-Mart here is better than any Target I've been to yet.
I grew up near Asheboro, which supposedly had the largest Wal-Mart east of the Mississippi when their store opened. So I'm used to a Supercenter. But the one here in Sanford is much nicer. More modern. More hip. More interactive.
I'll probably be dropping a few bones in there this week.
I may move in there. That seems like the only way I'm going to be able to afford one of those plasma TVs. They're open 24 hours. They'll never know.

No comments: