Tuesday, October 16, 2007

While we are on the subject...

I love cars. No, I mean, I really love cars. My dad always told me it was the curse of being an Owens. We have a sweet spot in our soul for anything on four wheels...and even some two-wheelers (my dad has an extensive collection on old bicycles for some reason.) I think it has more to do with being male...

Here are some of the cars I am excited about for 2008, and beyond. As I said earlier, I'll never be able to afford any of these...
2008

BMW 1-Series


The Germans have been talking about this one for a while now, but the cheaper, smaller 1-series has been delayed so many times it looked to be dead. Back in 1995, BMW made a 318ti, a hatchback that was supposed to usher in a line of cheaper beamers. It never happened.
I don't know, though. If I am going to buy a BMW, I would want to spend the extra $10,000 and get a nice one...

BMW M3


...LIKE THIS ONE! The M3 and the 1958 Carolina Blue Corvette have always been my dream cars. The 2008 edition only confirms that. Just looking at this thing gives me chills.

Chevy Silverado


There's not really much new about the 2008 model after a complete redesign in 2007. But as a Chevy man (I think my dad has had a Silverado in one form or another since before I was born) I have to give a nod to this one. Just look at that picture. It reminds me of two things: 1) the radio-controlled truck I had, named Black Thunder, as a kid that would go about anywhere I wanted it to; and 2) the big truck Marty McFly gets as a birthday gift in Back to the Future. Both of those, along with all my dad's trucks, set the precedent for me as a kid. Chevy trucks are engrained in me.

Nissan Rogue

Talk about extremes. But there is just something about this little thing that I like. I haven't seen one in person yet, but the ads are cool. I wouldn't buy one for myself (I already have a Honda Element that I can't get rid of) but I just like these things. Maybe I'll buy my wife one. Oh, wait. I'm not married. And I have no money...

Porsche 911

A Porsche 911 is supposedly the most perfect car built, so long as maintenance and repair is not an issue. On pure handling and speed, it supposedly does not get any better than a 911. Of course, I say supposedly, because I've only driven one in my life. It was my dad's lawyer's and I had barely turned 16, so the speed limit was my limit. Still, above is an exciting design. Porsche had gotten into a bad habit recently of making all their cars look exactly the same, from the Cayenne to the Boxster. I hate it when companies do that. My beloved BMW has a tendency of making that mistake from time to time...

BEYOND
2009 Camaro Convertible

You got a sneak peak of this bad boy in Transformers, but just look at this thing. The mix of retro styiling and modern cues is amazing. Plus, it's good to see the Chevy muscle car back. The convertible version is slated for a late 2009 release, and I swear if I hit the lottery by then I will be the first in line. This thing is bad...

2012 Corvette

Every year a new corvette comes out, it is always the car design event of the year, and I am sure that the 2012 release of the C7 (Seventh version of the Corvette) will no different. I am not really ready for a change yet though. I think Chevy hit it out of the park with the current design, though I guess in five years that will be old news, too. Plus, I think Chevy learned a lot from its mistake with the C4 (The 1980's vette, which lingered way too far into the 1990's causing the brand to lose a lot of fans to the Dodge Viper and it's breathren).
My excitement is muted, however, by the fact that the only 'vette I'll ever afford is a Chevette.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hiya everybody, fantastic chat board I have found It amply helpful & its helped me so much
I hope to contribute & aid other users like this board has helped me

_________________
[url=http://iphoneusers.com]redsn0w[/url]